MHConceirge previously posted about “top doctors award” plaques, after getting a phone call from a person who sounded profoundly bored and tried to sell me a plaque for a couple of hundred dollars. Since I practice in Minnesota and the company was located in another state, I wondered how the company could possibly establish that I am a “top doctor.”

A few minutes of online research located an ABC News investigative report from 2012 about these “top doctors” plaques. The report found several, frankly, fishy examples of these awards, such as an MD with a history of dental school, but who changed to medical school, and was offered a “top dentist” plaque. They also found, “(a company’s) database of “Top Physicians” includes doctors with serious criminal and disciplinary records.”

So, I posted about my research, and forgot about it.  A few months later, while reviewing my Google Analytics data for my posts, I was shocked to find that this “top doctors awards- a scam?” post had several thousand hits, and many more comments than any of my other posts.  “Huh,” I thought.

Most of the comments were scathingly critical and agreed that it is a scam.  Interestingly, I did receive several comments that defended companies that sell these plaques.  Even more interestingly, it seemed to me that these comments seemed very similar to each other.

Things got more interesting a few months later when I received a letter from a legal firm from another time zone.  These letters are never good news, and this one was a “cease and desist” demand from a lawyer for one of the “top doctors” companies.  They claimed that my post had caused “serious financial harm” to the company, and demanded that I immediately remove the post, or face litigation.  They demanded an immediate written response.

My first thought was, perhaps with a bit of narcissism, “Cool!  MHConcierge has made it to the big leagues!”  My second thought, with perhaps more pragmatism, was, even though I was only reporting on ABC’s research, that I didn’t need the hassle and expense of even the threat of a lawsuit.  So, with great reluctance, I promptly responded with “OK” and took down the post.

A news organization with much more resources than MHConcierge, ProPublica, became aware of the “top doctor awards” industry when one of their journalists, who is not a physician, was called and offered the opportunity to buy a plaque. He did some proper journalistic research and published “I’m a Journalist. Apparently, I’m Also One of America’s ‘Top Doctors.’”  He concludes, “Experts call the accolades a “scam.” Giving me one highlights the absurdity.”

So, I am posting again.   If you want to comment in defense of the “top doctors” industry, you are welcome  to comment away – MHConcerige seeks to promote informed discussion about issues affecting mental health professionals.  If you do, however, please provide info that nobody else has been able to provide – how does a company located in another state actually verify that I, or anyone else, is really a “top doctor?’ And, in particular, how to you explain the high percentage of “false positives” cited by the ABC report – many doctors with serious licensing violations who are “top doctors”?

Tagged on:

10 thoughts on ““Top Doctor” awards – scam, or legitimate? ProPublica researches, concludes, “Scam!”

• December 7, 2020 at 4:18 pm

have also been contacted about this ‘top doctor’ award, though I am still in training and therefore have never practiced outside of my residency or fellowship…interesting…

• January 22, 2021 at 2:50 pm

I’m a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon. I get these garbage letters and e-mails constantly, offering to place my name on their list of “top doctors” (for a fee of course). Pretty much anybody can get one of their plaques or a feature in their publications. In general, I find that the medical providers who pay for these services are the ones that I would never allow to treat me or anyone I care about.
    My advise is, if you see a health care provider who touts being on a “top doctor” list, turn around and walk the other way.

• February 5, 2021 at 2:42 pm

Dr. Bingham,
      Your experience fits with my experience – in fact, for a doctor to have one of these awards is, IHO, similar to what gamblers call a negative indicator. If an incompetent gambler, who is prone to losing, tells you to bet on a particular horse, you probably should view this as an indication that you should NOT bet on that horse. If a doctor has one of these plaques in their office, I would avoid them.

• February 5, 2021 at 1:34 pm

My father, a physician, passed away three years and my mother has been receiving “Top Doctor” solicitations from this company even though she moved to a different state after his death. TOP DOCTOR IS MOST CERTAINLY A SCAM.

• February 5, 2021 at 2:39 pm

Thanks for sharing your family’s unfortunate experience, which pretty strongly supports concerns that these “awards” are scams.

• May 21, 2021 at 6:41 am

It is a Big Scam.
    I fell for it

I had retired and thought such a Plaque will be fine

They later withdrew $565 from my Bank Account.

Stay Away.

• May 24, 2021 at 10:56 am

Again, incredible and thanks for sharing this data point. Hopefully it will help others sort out how to respond to this type of ad.

• May 21, 2021 at 8:40 am

My father, a physician, retired from practice in 1991 and passed away in 2005. I just received a letter from this company offering to feature my father as a Top Pathologist! Talk about their lists being a little bit out-of-date! SCAM!!

• July 1, 2021 at 8:10 pm

It is a BIG SCAM. I am retired and fell for it as well. They later removed $595.00 from my account.

Stay AWAY